Abstract Painting Process-Part 3
In Part 2, I described the Complementary color combination as green and red with green acting as the dominant color, and red as the accent color, used only at the centers of interest.
For my substrate I am using 300 lb. Fabriano Artistico watercolor paper covered with a thick coating of Utrecht Professional Acrylic Gesso to seal the paper and create the same surface that I have on my canvases.
In this video I begin laying in a series of pink mixtures that will act as my centers of interest. I'm not interested in developing them now, but want to hold their place and build the painting around them. I begin developing the dark value green shapes near the pinks to build in contrast at what will be my centers of interest. I am trying to get my darkest darks against my brightest accent colors to draw attention to my centers of interest.
The edges of the dark value shapes will dry if I don't work quickly to attack the edges with my dominate green color. I quickly begin to lay-in a variety of middle value blue-green and yellow-green color chosen randomly from the palette. All I am looking for right now is a good variety of interesting color and shapes.
In the next video I will continue laying in color and begin to develop the centers of interest.
If you're interested in attending a workshop with me in 2018, check out my list of upcoming workshops: (You can view a list of 2018 workshops HERE)
- March 9-11 Arts and Design Society, Fort Walton Beach, FL. To register contact Hanna Joensuu: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 21-23 Contemporary Artists of Southern Arizona, Tucson, AZ. To register contact Jan Sennewald: email@example.com.
- March 26-28 Arizona Art Supply, Phoenix, AZ. To register contact David: firstname.lastname@example.org or Click HERE to register online.
- April 13-15 Conroe Art League, Conroe, TX. To register contact Kathryn Marks: email@example.com
- April 18-21 Artist's Showplace, Dallas, TX. To register contact San Cheang: firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, thanks so much for your support
P.S. If you are interested in learning abstract painting with a dose of design fundamentals, you should join Abstract Painting Academy:
Abstract Painting Academy is the next best thing to a live workshop. You can learn more about the program by Clicking HERE.