Art Workshops - Try Something New
Most artists attend art workshops to learn something new: a new medium, a new subject matter, a new technique. Sometimes though, when they get to the workshop they are more interested in making something to hang on the wall rather than just trying something new.
Workshop students fear making mistakes. The funny thing is, that is exactly what workshops are for! They are made to get you out of your comfort zone and into a place where learning takes place. A place where mistakes and experimentation are part of the learning experience. The last thing I want to hear a student say is, "I am taking this workshop to make a painting to hang in my dining room." If that is your reason for attending, please save your money.
When you are in a workshop, listen closely to the instructor, take good notes, and then try to implement what the instructor is teaching into your own work. Don't try to paint like the instructor, just implement the lessons into how you paint.
Here are a few good tips to take into your next workshop to get the most out of the experience:
- Go in with an open mind and bring with you a willingness to learn.
- Be willing to make mistakes and put yourself in a place far outside of your comfort zone.
- A spirit of experimentation and a willingness to try something new without fear.
- Learn from others in the workshop.
- Bring your joy and energy!
For those that are interested in a fun and engaging workshop experience, I have some workshops coming up that you will love: (You can see a full list of Workshops by Clicking HERE.)
- May 20-21, 2017 Anchorlight Raleigh, NC. To register contact Monica Linares firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 5-8, 2017 Dillman's Creative Arts, Lac Du Flambeau, WI. To register contact Stephanie 715-588-3143 or email@example.com. Details HERE.
- June 19-22, 2017 Cuyahoga Valley Art Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH. To register contact Danielle firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-928-8092.
- July 10-14, 2017 Cloudcroft Art Workshops, Cloudcroft, NM. To register contact Linda Shiplett at email@example.com or 915-490-5071. Details HERE.
- July 28-30, 2017 Binders Art, Atlanta, GA. to register contact Preston Ferguson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-237-6331. Details HERE.
As always, thanks so much for your support!
P.S. If you cannot attend a live event, or prefer to learn online in the comfort of your home or studio, Abstract Painting Academy is my online workshop:
Abstract Painting Academy is the next best thing to a live workshop. You can learn more about the program by Clicking HERE.